One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Monday, April 13, 2009

Shrimp & Snap Pea Salad with Ginger-Soy Vinaigrette

As the weather starts to warm up, I'm starting to look for recipes more suitable for those evenings when the last thing on my mind is anything that will "stick to my ribs" or "warm me through and through." One of my favorites is this main course salad containing some of my favorite flavors. The shrimp, the fruit, the lightness of the vinaigrette... it speaks of warm evenings and fireflies. Well, maybe it's a little early in the season for that, but I'm always in the mood for this dish!

Shrimp & Snap Pea Salad with Ginger-Soy Vinaigrette
Serves 4 as a main course

1-1/2 pounds large shrimp (about 32-36 per pound)
2 cups snap peas (about 1/2 pound, trimmed)
3 green onions, trimmed and minced

Ginger-Soy Vinaigrette
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 - 5 dashes hot sauce

Garnishes
1/2 cup diced mango
1/2 cup chopped peanuts or cashews
lime wedges

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook 3 - 4 minutes, until they turn pink. Drain, run under cold water, peel and devein.

Meanwhile, bring another pot of salted water to a boil, drop in snap peas and boil, uncovered, 2 - 3 minutes, until just tender and still bright green. Drain and rinse immediately with cold water to stop the cooking.

To make vinaigrette: Whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lime juice, ginger, and hot sauce in a small bowl until well-combined.

Put shrimp, snap peas, and green onions in a large bowl, add vinaigrette, and toss well. Divide the mixture among 4 plates and garnish each serving with the diced mango, chopped nuts, and lime wedges.


Source: The Beach House Cookbook, copyright 2005

9 comments:

MaryBeth said...

WOW...your dish looks so colorful and fresh, I would love to give this one a try.

Martha said...

This does look like a great summer meal!

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, you have shared that photo with me before. I've always liked it. My favourite local prawns will be in season about the middle of May. Maybe I'll make this then. I think that Moe would really like it.

Christina Kim said...

Oh, I love the slight Asian flair to this dish. I especially love the addition of fruit to it!

La Table De Nana said...

This will be delish on the patio soon..Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazingly delicious! Simple & lite salad with a nice glass of wine on the back patio. Can't wait to try it!

Foodiewife said...

I need to make salads more often, as a main course. This dish look flavorful and refreshing. I am definitely adding this one on my future meal plans. The mangos are a great addition!

La Table De Nana said...

Lori..I was just checking to see that my post made it to you!

La Table De Nana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin