One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Shepherd's Pie... In Reverse

Well, my friends, there's a good chance I have strep throat. My throat has been awful today and my friend, Ann (of Thibeault's Table), has made me promise to call the doctor in the morning if I don't wake up any better. So today was a day of comfort foods... things that were easy on the throat. This afternoon I sipped on soup made with orzo and rich homemade chicken stock I keep stored in the freezer. For dinner, I had taken some ground chuck out of the freezer, and Ann again came to my rescue and suggested reverse shepherd's pie... ground chuck browned with some chopped onion, minced garlic, and whatever vegetables I could come up with. I seasoned the mixture with Worcestershire, a little tomato paste, beef broth, and thyme, simmering it for about 45 minutes. About 10 minutes before it finished simmering, I mixed a little soft butter with some Wondra flour to thicken up the mixture. In the meantime, I cooked peeled potatoes until they were tender, then mixed them with some butter and milk, seasoning them with salt and pepper. Once they cooled down just a little, I put them in a bag with a star tip and piped them into a small baking dish/pan, and then baked it in the oven at about 450 F. for about 20 - 25 minutes, until the potatoes browned up a little. Once the potatoes were done, I spooned the meat mixture into the potato 'crust'. Whoa - this was so good. Perfect comfort food (of which I seem to be in dire need of lately...). Leftovers for tomorrow, too. Love that!

11 comments:

Christina Kim said...

Lori, get a throat culture done! This is coming from a nurse! At least you still have energy to cook and get some nutrition in your body. Stay hydrated, get rest, all the usual things your mom always told you. :)

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, I can't believe that you still cook when you are feeling sick. I would have just curled up in bed all day.

I'm glad you tried the reverse Shepherd's Pie. It looks wonderful. The perfect comfort food. But you took it one step further than I do. I'm lazy and just serve it over mashed potatoes. And of course no carrots in mine.

I think I just might make that for dinner tomorrow night.

Hope you feel better in the morning.

MaryBeth said...

I had that once and let me just say it really sucked....I love you in side out Shepard pie!!

La Table De Nana said...

Oh I really like that idea! I can't believe you're cooking either:) Well maybe I can..I used tos think i would not could when J went away..and I did..small ..like onion soups etc..but once you are used to home made ..and eating well..you just need it..
Good girl!

gluten free pammy said...

mmmm looks great

Martha said...

I think this would be a great dish! Upside down or inside out Shepherd's Pie. Do go to the doctor -- it's nothing to fool with!

Marysol said...

Yum! One of our favorite, most comforting meals.

How are you feeling today Lori?
Take care of yourself, and please allow your family to cater to you for a while.

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

I went to the doctor yesterday. I have strep throat and an upper respiratory infection. I've got some good drugs now so I should be up and running in the fast lane any day now! :D

Sophie said...

Clever idea! It really does look more like a pie this way :).

Sand Hill Art said...

I prefer to call it Cottage Pie if it is made with beef. Traditional shepherd's pie is made with ground lamb ( shepherd = sheep ).

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you all.

Yes, Pilgrim, I have seen it referred to as Cottage Pie, as well. Another bastardization of an original recipe! ;)

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin