One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Shrimp & Avocado Salad

Today was Round 2 of my viscosupplementation injections in both knees. I spent the afternoon on Aleve, with my feet up, and ice packs on my knees. They're still achy (and sore at the injection sites), so I wanted something good but easy to make for dinner. One of my favorite salads comes from Ann at Thibeault's Table, ironic because Ann is not much on salads!! But this salad is a winner in anyone's book. Pretty salad greens, layered with shrimp and avocado, topped with a mayonnaise dressing. Delicious. Thank you, Ann!!

Chilled Shrimp Appetizer

24 large prawns/shrimp
2 avocados, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped chives
6 leaves of Boston or butter lettuce

Dressing
1 cup of mayonnaise (homemade or Hellman’s)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small fresh red chili, finely chopped (Ann's note: "Sometimes I use just hot red pepper flakes and sometimes I roast a fresh red pepper, finely chop and add to the dressing along with the hot red pepper flakes")
1 clove of minced garlic

Peel and devein shrimp, leaving on tail shell. Cook. Cool and refrigerate.

Make Dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together.

To serve, place one leaf of lettuce on each plate. Place the shrimp on plate and place one slice of avocado between each shrimp. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with chopped chives.

My notes: I put a little salt over the garlic and make a paste of it before adding to the dressing. I usually use the red pepper flakes. I also add a pinch of saffron, mix well, and let the dressing sit for at least an hour before using.

8 comments:

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, I can't believe that you cook for yourself on the days that you get your knees done.

I like how you spiraled the shrimp on the plate. Looks beautiful.

Cathy said...

Hope your knees are feeling better today Lori. You're a determined one to get up and fix a lovely salad after your ordeal. I like the simplicity of this salad so all the wonderful flavors and textures can be appreciated.

Shrimp and avocado are two of my favorite foods.

Foodiewife said...

First, this looks fresh and tasty. Shrimp and avocado are high on my long list of favorite foods.
Last, but not least, I admire your willingness to cook. I'm not sure exactly what you've had done with your knees, but I had double knee surgery and there are replacements coming in the near future. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I feel you.

Debby

Linda said...

Beeeeeaaaauuuuutiful Lori!
I hope you feel better....wish you were closer...I would have brought you dinner...
L~xo

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Linda, you are so sweet. I bring a counter stool into the kitchen between the island and the stove and cook that way. Not too bad. :D

Ann, Cathy, and Debby - thanks so much! I feel like since I'm home, I should be able to make myself dinner. So I do the best I can! ;)

Marysol said...

You just had knee surgery and you're still busy cooking?
You and I need to have a serious talk.

Btw, I often make shrimp and avocado salads; it's always been one of my favorite things, and yours is perfection.

Louisette passion retriever, cat, memory Katanga said...

Humm,nice recipes, your blog is wonderfull.
greeting from Belgium

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you very much! Please come by again!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin