One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lemon Coolers


Remember Sunshine Lemon Coolers? I used to love those cookies! Tiny little melt-in-your-mouth lemony cookies covered in lemony powdered sugar. Pure summertime! Keebler bought out Sunshine and no longer makes these little gems, but I happened to come across this "copycat" recipe on the 'net one day. I finally made the cookies this week, and they're wonderful! I made a few changes to the recipe, with notes to make a couple of additional changes the next time I make them... and I will definitely make these again!

Lemon Coolers
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening (I used butter)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon water (next time, I will use fresh lemon juice instead of water)
(I also added 1 teaspoon of lemon zest to the dough)
Lemon Powdered Sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
rounded 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened Kool-Aid lemonade drink mix (next time, I will try 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cream together sugars, butter, egg, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. Add 1 tablespoon of water (or lemon juice) and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.

Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet (I used parchment-lined baking sheets). Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cookies are light brown.

As cookies bake, combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the lemonade drink mix (or 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, or both) in a large plastic bag and shake thoroughly to mix. When the cookies are removed from the oven and while they are hot, add 4 or 5at a time to the bag and shake it until the cookies are well coated. Repeat with the remaining cookies.


Makes 50 to 56 cookies (I got 4 dozen out of this recipe)








21 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

They are trop cute..I will have to make them..are they similar..to Martha Stewart's Lime Melt-Aways?

Debbie said...

THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE? Stuff like that always makes me sad.
Your cookies look beautiful.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

How beautiful your photos are Lori!

I used to LOVE Lemon Coolers, too :) I MUST give these a try. Thank you for sharing the recipe. xo~m.

Dragana said...

Lori, this is a great recipe I can use to make mini lemon cookes to use as a base for tiny lemon cheesecakes. It's difficult to find these small enough to fit the bottom of my mini muffin pan.
I'm glad you're back online. Thanks!

Sally Baker said...

Your teacup and saucer are so elegant and delicate.
Another lost recipe from the Sunshine/Keebler by-out are those flat rectangular rain-filled biscuits that you could break into sections. Remember them?
Love your music.

Sand Hill Art said...

I meant RAISIN-filled :)

Dragana said...

Lori, forgot to mention I love your music! Ever listened to John Legend? Seems like he'd fit right in your playlist.

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, beautiful photo. Those cookies look like they would melt in the mouth. Can't wait to try this recipe.

Coleens Recipes said...

What pretty cookies!! PERFECT for afternoon tea.

Linda said...

Lori...those are just the prettiest cookies I have seen in a while...loves the pics...love your teacup...love it all!
Miss you my friend!
L~xo

Meg said...

These look SO delicious!

Rachelle S said...

Ooh these sound delightful!I'm going to mark this to my files. Pretty picture!

Anonymous said...

I just made these as a surprise for my boyfriend and they are perfect! I only got about 2 1/2 dozen out of the dough, but I probably made them bigger than the recipe called for. Thanks for the recipe and the tips!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Anon - I'm so glad you liked them!! They're pretty easy, right?!

Anonymous said...

I love these cookies so much. i can't wait to try these

Anonymous said...

I always LOVED Lemon Coolers. The citric acid from the Koolade is brilliant! I can't wait to try these. Thanks so much! Denise, Panama City, FL

Unknown said...

I'm sooo glad I found your take on the recipe! I've trolled the internet and wondered why none of the recipes called for lemon zest! I seem to remember bits of lemon or zest in the original Lemon Cooler. I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Laurie H. said...

I just made these and they are WONDERFUL! Thank you for the great recipe!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Glad you liked them Laurie H. They are a wonderful little cookies, aren't they?!

JEANNIE said...

I made these last night for my Hubs, one of his favorites, when I found out you can't buy them anymore! Great recipe!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Jeannie, I'm so glad you liked them. I was disappointed to find I could no longer purchase these cookies, too. At least we have a nice little 'copy cat'!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin