One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mexican Chicken Kiev


On one of the cooking boards I frequently visit, I discovered a recipe someone had posted for Mexican Chicken Kiev. Not filled with a flavored butter like a traditional chicken kiev, this one is filled with Monterrey Jack cheese and chilies. Monterrey Jack melts beautifully and is rather mild so it absorbs the flavors of whatever it is paired with. The chicken was juicy, tender, crispy, and oh so tasty!
I had considered making a salsa verde to serve with the chicken dish but decided to wing a rice side dish instead. I cooked up some jasmine rice (my everyday rice of choice), then added some black beans (canned, drained, and thoroughly rinsed), chopped cilantro, seeded & chopped fresh tomato, and a pinch of chipotle powder. It went perfectly with the Mexican Chicken Kiev.

I love this dinner and was surprised how easy and quick it was to put together. Quick & easy - always a winning combination!!


Mexican Chicken Kiev

8 boneless chicken breast halves
1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut in 8 strips
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (I used panko)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used a chipotle chili powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness.

Place about 2 tablespoons chilies and 1 strip cheese (I used shredded cheese - about 2 tablespoons for each piece of chicken) in center of each chicken piece. Roll up and tuck ends under. (I secured with a small wooden skewer.)

Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, & seasonings. Melt butter in a shallow dish in microwave. Dip chicken rolls in butter & roll in bread crumb mixture. Place chicken rolls seam side down in a baking dish. Drizzle with the remaining melted butter.

Cover & chill several hours or overnight if desired. (I found this step unnecessary, but it's good to know that it can be made that far ahead!)

Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until done.

A roasted tomato sauce or salsa verde would be very nice with this if a sauce is desired.


Source: Cookfun (CK)

3 comments:

Cathy said...

MMMmmm, what a wonderful twist to a classic chicken dish. Freshly roasted chilis are available at the farmers market and I can almost smell this roasting in the oven. And I like the idea of being able to prepare it ahead of time.

Annie said...

Thanks,

Both dishes look delicious and I'm turning on my printer now so I can cook it later. Great food for Texans, too.

Kathy Walker said...

Perfect! This sounds like a dish my family would love! Thank you!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin