One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Monday, October 19, 2009

Baked Mushroom Risotto



Thanks to Ann, Mari, and Linda, I had to give baked risotto a try. The method is simple enough: stir arborio (or other short-grain rice suitable for risotto) into some stock/broth and bake for about 45 minutes. Add grated parmesan and butter, season with salt & pepper, and 'Bob's your uncle'.

Since this was going to be my dinner, I first sauteed a rather large shallot in some olive oil, then added the rice, then stirred in the stock and baked. And as most suggested a need to add more stock at the end of the baking time, I decided to up the moisture quotient at the beginning and added a whole cup more than originally recommended. My baking time was right at 45 minutes and there was no dryness to compensate for. I added in the parmesan, butter, salt & pepper, and sauteed shiitakes that I had already seasoned with fresh thyme. Oh my. It was amazing (and I must say - even better the next day... a great plan ahead dish!)

Okay... it's not exactly like traditionally cooked risotto, but it's close enough when I'm not up for a marathon stirring session. Thanks to all my blogging friends for their baked risotto experience. I am happily better for it!

Baked Mushroom Risotto

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large shallots, chopped
3 cups arborio rice
7 cups chicken stock
8 tablespoons butter, divided
1 pound shiitake mushroom, stemmed, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
2 cups grated parmesan cheese
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven, and saute the shallots until translucent. Add the rice and stir, coating the rice evenly with the oil. Stir in stock, cover the Dutch oven with its lid and place in oven, cooking for 45 minutes. (Stir once or twice during cooking.)

Saute sliced mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter. Season with salt & pepper and thyme. Set aside.

When rice is finished baking, remove from oven and stir in parmesan cheese and remaining butter. Stir in mushrooms; check for seasoning, adding additional salt & pepper as needed. Serve.

12 servings

2 comments:

Thibeault's Table said...

I'd be happy with anyone of the Risottos that Mary's post inspired. I love how everyone adapted the recipe to suit their own taste. Your mushroom risotto looks delicious. Perfect one pot meal.

Linda said...

Magnificent Lori...
I am with Ann...I would also be happy with all of them, ok not on the same day!LOL...
L~xo

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin