One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Monday, October 5, 2009

Chocolate Crackles

Not usually in the mood for a chocolate cookie (I'm one of the world's few non-chocoholics), I thought this cookie was so pretty, I just had to make it. Since I was having company over for dinner, with one or two chocolate fans in the bunch, I thought this was just the opportunity to try them. Though a bit messy to roll and sugar, it didn't take long to have a few dozen done and ready to go into the oven. The aroma was heady, even for a vanilla freak, and the results were 'picture perfect'. Their taste is similar to a rich brownie, their texture was moist yet with a slight crispness to the sugary top. This little cookie may have converted me after all!

Chocolate Crackles
makes approximately 5 dozen

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is melted. If necessary, continue heating in microwave, checking and stirring in 10 second intervals. Let cool.

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixier, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Add in cooled, melted chocolate. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Divide each piece of dough into sixteen 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar to coat, then in confectioners' sugar, coating well. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake until surfaces crack, about 14 to 16 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through baking time. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored for up to 3 days in air-tight containers, placing parchment or waxed paper between layers.


Source: Martha Stewart's Cookies, copyright 2008

19 comments:

Cathy said...

My mom used to make a similar recipe. I haven't seen these lovely little cookies in years. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside: my favorite kind of cookie.

Reginald @ CeramicCanvas said...

Unlike you, I am a

huge chocoholic :)

These cookies look great...

nice and chewy.

Cheers!

JB said...

No no no.

These are chocolate crackles

Chocolate Crackle Recipe

4 cups Rice Bubbles
1 � cups sifted icing sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
250gm hard vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons cocoa
24 patty pans

Mix the first 3 ingredients and cocoa together.


Pour in melted vegetable shortening and mix.


Put into patty pans and chill.

Queen B. said...

the best cookie.
ever.

La Table De Nana said...

Lori..Me too I must make thses ..Too pretty and I am not a chocoholic either..Beau!!!

La Table De Nana said...

Too bad I can't spell:) THESE is the word I was looking for:)

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Nistuj, blame Martha Stewart for the misnomer! A cookie by any other name...

Joyce said...

Pretty and perfect. Wish I had one right this minute along with a tall cold glass of milk. Your photo is killing my diet control here:)
Joyce

Linda said...

Love, love, love these...
Beautiful pics Miss Lori!

Kathy - Cooking On the Side said...

I used to love these growing up - I hadn't thought about them until now, but now I want some! Hopefully you'll continue to explore the fabulous world of chocolate :-)

A Bowl Of Mush said...

These are lovely! Perfect for the holidays season!

Kathy Walker said...

These would be great with a big glass of milk! They look so rich. Yum.

Thibeault's Table said...

I'd love one with my morning coffee. Great photo Lori.

Velva said...

Wow, beautiful! These would be great after dinner treats with a glass of port. Of course, these would be absolutely delicious right out of the cookie jar!

Sophie said...

These are very pretty cookies. Out of all the cookies I've made our tried, I think these are missing from the list! They remind me of Christmas, the white sugar on top resembles flecks of snow, so cute!

Barbara said...

What a super recipe! Unusual and so very pretty.
I bet your guests loved them.

TeroldegoandTomatoes said...

These cane out amazing. thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I opted for the 14 minute bake time in my standard oven-when cool they are soft and chewy. Merry Christmas!

Tiffany
www.etsy.com/shop/teroldegoandtomatoes

TeroldegoandTomatoes said...

This recipe was amazing. Thanks so much for sharing! I baked at 14 minutes each- and they are soft and chewy when cool.

Merry Christmas!

Tiffany
www.etsy.com/shop/teroldegoandtomatoes

Anonymous said...

These are delicious and perfect to hand out on Valentine's Day

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin