One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Saturday, October 17, 2009

Blueberry Coffeecake

I found a coffeecake that looked so delicious on a blog I happened upon, Stick to Your Hips. It's a pretty site with delicious-looking and -sounding recipes. Her recipe for Special-Morning Coffee Cake was particularly appealing this morning, and so off I went to the kitchen to experiment with this recipe.

I had some blueberries stashed in the freezer, and thought they would go well with this cinnamon-y treat. They did! My other little change was a mistake. As the cake was baking, I noticed that while it smelled wonderful, I was missing that waft of cinnamon that should have been emanating from my oven... And then I realized... I had forgotten to add the cinnamon to the topping. Horrors! Now what was I going to do?? The cake only had about 10 minutes of oven time left, so I decided to mix the cinnamon with a couple of tablespoons of granulated sugar and sprinkled that over the top of the cake. Ah - there was that aroma I was waiting for. I will do my best to remember the cinnamon in the topping next time, but I think I will also add a little cinnamon-sugar to the top of the cake, as well. Definitely a delicious breakfast treat!

Blueberry Coffeecake

Shortening (for greasing baking pan)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup blueberries

1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with the shortening and set aside.

In a small bowl, with a fork, mash together the softened butter, 1/4 cup flour, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. (It will be more creamy instead of dry like a traditional streusel, causing the clumps to fall into the cake instead of sit on top.)

In a small bowl combine the 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl beat the egg and 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in the melted butter, milk, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture all at once and stir together just until incorporated. Gently stir in blueberries. Don't overmix.

Pour into prepared pan and dot the surface with the brown sugar mixture. Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with 2 tablespoons sugar. Sprinkle over batter. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted in the middle.


Adapted from sticktoyourhips.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Linda said...

Looks delish Miss Lori!
btw...I love your fork!
You know me and anything blue!
L~xo

Cass @ That Old House said...

Well, pull up a chair, pour me some coffee, and cut me a piece of that cake!
It looks delicious, but more than that, it also looks PRETTY. How many things can claim that? Well, except maybe chocolate.
Thanks for this recipe, it looks fabulous.
I'll check out the other blog, too!
Back to cooking dinner now...
Cass

Thibeault's Table said...

Oh My!!!! Lori that looks soooooo gooooood. I would love a piece with my coffee in the morning. Or now.

La Table De Nana said...

Yes..the more cinnamon the better in my mind! It's gorgeous Lori~~

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Lori, It looks delicious ~ I'm standing in line for a piece, please. :)

Psst... I am so happy I am not the only one who sometimes accidently omits an ingredient. I like the idea of the cinnamon-sugar sprinkle, that's just the way I would make it, too.

'Stick to your Hips', such a clever name, thank you for sharing! xo

a quiet life said...

everyday i steal your pics and never wave hello, forgive my eating and running daily! thanks for defending me to those small minded ninnies at gw, you were very sweet!

you know i love your stuff, thats why i snitch you, i am always in a rush to get outside in the morn so i never visit, but just know i am thinking fab thoughts as i steal the goods!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin