One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Homemade Hamburger Buns

I was in the mood for a good old-fashioned hamburger today.  Nothing fancy.  No bleu cheese in the middle of the meat.  No horseradish or onions mixed with the meat.  No sauteed onions or mushrooms, no guacamole.  Just a burger.  A burger with a thick slice of a beefsteak tomato and the crunch of a slice of red onion.  And, of course, a great hamburger bun.  Fortunately, I have a recipe for just such a bun that I discovered at www.blisstree.com.  And it doesn't take all day to make.  In fact, it only takes about an hour, start to finish.  You can sub some wheat flour for some of the unbleached all-purpose flour.  You could make hot dog rolls with the same dough.  You can leave them plain, or top them with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, minced onion, whatever floats your boat!  I've made this recipe three times already and have had success with it every time.  You've got to try them!


Homemade Hot Dog or Hamburger Buns

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 egg, room temperature
4 1/2 cups flour  (unbleached, whole wheat, or a mix)
1 package instant yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted. Check temperature. Depending on the temperature, let cool to 120F. Carefully beat in egg.

Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast, and salt. Mix into the milk mixture. Stir in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.

When the dough pulls together, (it will form a soft ball) turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 -16 equal pieces. This will depend on the size you want for the finished bun. Shape into smooth balls, flatten slightly, and place on a silpat covered baking sheet.

Let rise for 30 to 35 minutes. When buns have almost doubled bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

If you are making hot dog buns I find it easiest to roll the dough out into a large rectangle and cut into smaller rectangles. Let rise with sides touching.

You can brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, coarse sea salt, or whatever you like. You can add dry onion soup mix for onion rolls. These are very versatile!

Makes 12-16



 


Source:  http://www.blisstree.com/bakingdelights/easy-perfect-homemade-hamburger-or-hot-dog-buns/

10 comments:

Thibeault's Table said...

Damn that looks good. Certainly puts the McDonald's burger I had for lunch to shame. Great photos.

Haden News said...

These look so good, are they really that easy? Think I will have to give them a try :)

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Haden News - Yes!! They are that easy. You will be surprised. Give them a try and let me know what you think!

Lori

La Table De Nana said...

They are just perfect!! The collage is so nice too..

I knew Ann would love them~

Linda said...

Beautiful Lori...these remind me of the Moomie's Buns but they seem like they would be less sweet which I would love. I will be trying this recipe soon!
Oh girl you made me hungry for a burger at 9:00 am...I have not been hungry for anything the past few days...maybe a burger it will be tonight!

Sand Hill Art said...

This is one that I'm sure would get rave reviews from my husband who doesn't like most store breads. Thanks.

Dragana said...

These look great and so easy! I have also made Moomie's buns (found them on Mari's blog). Burger time soon!

Cathy said...

I'm building up my bread baking confidence and am going to try these delicious buns. They would elevate any sandwich to new heights. Its only 7:30 am and I could go for a burger.

Linda said...

Lori...I made these the other night...this is a fabulous recipe...it does not get faster than these.
Thanks darlin'
L~xo

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Linda, I'm so glad you liked them as well as I do!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin