One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Monday, October 12, 2009

Butter Tarts

These little tarts are so rich and buttery, it's a good thing they're so tiny! Two bites worth - just perfect! With so many recipes available for them, my favorite has turned out to be the one I use for pecan pie... without the pecans (though chopped pecans are a nice touch, too). There is, however, one unfortunate thing about these little treats... it's hard to stop at just one!

Crust
1-1/2 cups flour

1/4 cup butter, cold, diced
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup ice cold water

Add flour, butter, shortening, and salt to food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water and pulse just until dough comes together. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1-1/2 teaspoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all ingredients until smooth.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Roll out dough to thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut into 2-1/2 inch rounds. Fit into mini muffin tin cups. Pour filling into unbaked shells.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.

Makes 24 mini tarts.

7 comments:

Thibeault's Table said...

Oh Lori, not sure if you realize but Butter Tarts are very Canadian. Perfect dessert to serve on Canada's Thanksgiving. They look delicious.

Ann

La Table De Nana said...

Oh yes..grew up on these:) Little perfect pies..

I still remember certain special days throughout my married life when I amde these:)

Erica (Irene) said...

Lori.......You Butter tarts look fantastic. They look perfect, also being from Canada they are sold everywhere and I grew up with them......but home/made are always the best. Thanks for posting this recipe.

Linda said...

Oh boy these look very yummy....
I have just been planning to make some tiny little pecan tassies and tiny pumpkin pies....maybe I will add these to the list!
Thanks Lori!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Lori, Lori, Lori, These look fantastic!

I have never tasted a butter tart in my life. I remember drooling over photos and the recipe that Ann once shared, and promised I would make them "some day". I think "some day" is going to be very soon. Thanks for the nudge. :) xo

Cathy said...

What beautiful little butter tarts. The delicate little scalloped edge makes them perfect. These little gems will be in my Christmas cookie platters for sure. Lovely photos, Lori

Reeni said...

What sweet little treats these are! I bet they just melt in your mouth!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin