One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Sunday, November 8, 2009

Spaghetti & Meatballs

I love Italian food.  Growing up in an area full of Italian-Americans, great Italian food was always readily available.  And since my best friend was/ is Italian, I learned how to make good Italian food!  My mother inherited several great recipes from her friends there and passed them down to me.  While I do like pasta, I love meatballs.  Not just any meatballs but the ones my mom taught me how to make.  I did make one slight change to the recipe, though.  Instead of frying them, I now bake them.  It's my preference, though if you want to fry them, by all means, knock yourself out!

One of the keys to great meatballs is to simmer them in the sauce for at least 30 minutes before serving.  It makes all the difference!  When my daughter started making them, her complaint was that they didn't taste like mine.  First question I asked her:  Did you simmer them in the sauce before serving?  Not realizing how important that was to their flavor and texture, she hadn't.  NOW she makes great meatballs, too!

Meatballs

3/4 pound ground chuck (I often use all ground chuck, or 1/2 pound ground chuck and 1/2 pound ground pork)
1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix all ingredients (I find it's easiest to do with my hands - clean hands, of course!) Shape into balls, a bit bigger than golf balls. I usually get 12 - 15 meatballs out of one batch. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. (The parchment isn't necessary, but it makes clean-up MUCH easier!)

Bake for 30 minutes. Place in simmering spaghetti sauce for at least 30 minutes before serving.

7 comments:

AllThingsYummy said...

I've been looking for a good meatball recipe. Mine always turn out dry. I'll have to try this out. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

This is pretty close to my recipe, we just had them tonight in fact! :) I simmer mine in the sauce too, much better that way!

La Table De Nana said...

I agree they have to simmer to take on the flavor! Yours look huge and delicious!!!

Federica Simoni said...

wow un piatto molto invitante!!! super!!

Memória said...

I agree. Letting them simmer makes all the difference. If I have time, I allow my sauce to simmer for 2 to 3 hours. In the meantime, I make homemade pasta or quick bread...or I just do something else. But you can let it simmer that long if you're super hungry! haha

Your photos are awesome! The food looks so tantalizing. I feel like I could just pick up a juicy meatball and stuff it into my eager mouth haha.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a special sauce recipe too?
These meatballs look so good!

Linda said...

That looks like a fabulous Sunday bowl of pasta and meatballs Lori...

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin