One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Thursday, November 19, 2009

Foodie Friday - Potato Pizza

When my sister went to Florence, Italy several years ago, she told me that one of the most popular pizzas in the area was potato pizza.  Sometimes the potatoes where shredded, sometimes cut in wedges, sometimes diced, sometimes thinly sliced.  It sounded delicious (it's bread and potatoes... what's not to like?!), and while I have ordered it at a couple of restaurants that had it on their menus, I've never made a potato pizza for myself.  Today, while making a batch of French bread, I decided to make one large baguette and a small... wait for it... potato pizza!!  It was extremely delicious.  I wish I would have made more than a small(ish) pizza.  Well, now I know for next time!!

Potato Pizza

Pizza dough, patted into a thin round (I used French bread dough)
1 russet potato, thinly sliced
1/2 an onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, mincned
1 teaspoon sea salt

Preheat oven to 500 F.

Arrange potato slices in concentric circles over pizza dough.

Mix onion slices, oil, rosemary and salt.  Spread over potatoes.  Place on a baking stone, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.


Thank you to Michael at Designs by Gollum for hosting Foodie Friday!  Please be sure to visit her site to see all the other wonderful contributions to Foodie Friday!!

24 comments:

Missy Wertz said...

This looks very good! I will have to try it.

Natasha in Oz said...

I love potato pizza! We often make it here and sometimes we add a little bacon and use BBQ sauce on the base. I think I might make this tonight!
Thanks for the great recipe and I love the cranberry one below too!
Best wishes, Natasha.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Beautiful, pictures and food. I want to make pizza next week, so I might try this topping!
Yvonne

Nancy Jane said...

I loved seeing this type of potato pizza and will definitely give it a try! Where we live in PA, they make something called pagash, which is actually pizza made with seasoned mashed potatoes and onions. It's actually quite good. Nancy
PS: I do really enjoy your blog, and the photos are stellar.

NMOS said...

Looks delicious. You could maybe also try adding some leeks and some proscuitto (sp?) or chicken.

ellen b said...

That looks delicious!!

Federica Simoni said...

Adoro la pizza!!!! la tua è Super buonissima!!

Tammy518 said...

I had never heard of potato pizza, but this looks delicious!

La Table De Nana said...

I had also seen this ..similar soewhere and thought we must try it..this will surely push my desire fast forward..

Haden News said...

This is my kind of pizza!! Can't wait to try it.

Joyce said...

Two thumbs up for your recipe and photo. So much for my no carb diet going out the window:)
Joyce

Marisa said...

I really need to try this - I've come across it in various places, but never tried it myself. Thanks for the kick in the butt!

Marysol said...

Lori, that looks like carb heaven. My favorite.

I made a potato pizza recently, and nothing—absolutely nothing—could've knocked the smile off my face.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your pictures are getting better and better!. The pizza sounds intriguing. I've never had a potato topping on mine. Time to try something new.

Unknown said...

What a GREAT!!! and DIFFERENT!!! ingredient to put on pizza.
Geri

Linda said...

Looks yummy Lori!

Thibeault's Table said...

OOOH Lori, that looks delicious. Sure wish you lived next door to me.

Ann

Gloria Kelley said...

I love making my own pizza and do so often. I usually buy the dough at Whole Foods, it's so much more convenient.
I used to make a potato and rosemary pizza and loved it but forgot all about it til your post. I like the looks of the pizza in the photo and the recipe. I'll give this one a try for sure right after Thanksgiving. Thanks for a great entry.

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Anonymous: As I have deleted your rude comments before, I will continue to do so. I have received numerous comments that are in direct contrast to your complaint.

First and foremost, as a "web designer", you should have ample knowledge on how to adjust the volume of your computer. Secondly, if you don't care for my site, please take your leave and refrain from any lack of propriety.

As for professionalism, I think you should spend more time surfing the web. Many professional sites contain the information that you take issue with.

To the rest of my wonderful visitors, thank you so much for your generous comments. They are greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fifi Flowers said...

That looks soooo delicious!!!

2 Stews said...

Lori...now that's my kind of pizza...I love potatoes and I love pizza! We'll try this after Turkey Day.

Sorry you had a rude commenter...in general food bloggers are the most supporting people on the web...and for that I am thankful and feel blessed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Diane

Cathy said...

I've never made potato pizza before, but can't wait to try it TODAY! I have dough in the fridge and a potato in the bin so I'm set.
All best wishes to you and your family for the Happiest of Thanksgivings.

Anonymous said...

It looks heavenly. I am a potato person.

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin