One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Butter Bits


This recipe came from a wonderful friend of my family who passed away several years ago.  She was a sweet Italian woman, always kind, with an amazingly warm personality.  She gave my mother this recipe when I was a little girl, and they were my favorite cookie for a long time.  Mom would change them up a little sometimes, by placing half of a maraschino cherry or chocolate chips on the top of each cookie before going into the oven.   I'm very sentimental about these little cookies...  My thanks to Kay and to my mom for knowing a great but simple cookie when she sees it!!

Butter Bits


1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Mix all ingredients.  Place walnut-sized ball of dough on parchment- or silicone mat-lined baking sheet.  Flatten in criss-cross pattern with floured fork.  Bake for 15 - 18 minutes.  (Mine browned a little too much this time.)

When completely cooled, lightly sprinkle with confectioners's sugar before serving.

Yield:  1 to 1-1/2 dozen cookies

12 comments:

Linda said...

Lori....those looks just wonderful. I love a good butter cookie...
Thanks so much!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

My French aunt who married an Italian used to make something very similar. They were my favorite cookie ever...and so simple.

Cathy said...

I know I would love there buttery little cookies. They would be perfect with a nice cup of tea.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

They look delicious! And such happy memories make them extra special. Very nice Lori, thank you for sharing. xo

Thibeault's Table said...

One of your beautiful cookies would be just lovely with a cup of tea.

La Table De Nana said...

I know I will like these too..

Sentimental does it for me:)

MaryBeth said...

I would love these light buttery cookies...they look darling!

Federica Simoni said...

bellissimi questi biscotti!! aspettami che arrivo prepara il caffè!!! ciaooooooooooo

Trish said...

Well now, if those are the most beautiful cookies ever!

Velva said...

I love butter cookies! You have presented these cookies in an absolutely delightful manner. Very nice.

Jamie said...

I made these and I LOVE THEM! I made 3 batches already! I have sent this recipe to all my friends and I added it to my blog! Good STUFF! Love you blog! http://crazyjamie.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/butter-bits/

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying the recipe, Jamie! They are easy and so good, aren't they?!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin