One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Artichoke-Tuscan Bean Dip & Seasoned Pita Chips

I'm so tired.  I'm getting ready for company this week and the house is getting a top-to-bottom cleaning.  Fortunately for my aging muscles, my sister-in-law, Amy, has done the lion's share of the work.  I don't know what I would have done without her.  Unfortunately for her aching muscles, she has to go home to two little children and a husband to take care of - no rest for the weary!!  I love her dearly - she's such a prize!!

Well, after all that cleaning, I still had to figure out something to eat for dinner.  I wasn't up to making a three-course meal, nor was I up to ordering in.  What to do, what to do...  Scanning the pantry, I spotted a can of organic cannellini beans.  One of my favorite "dips/ spreads" is Giada deLaurentiis' White Bean Dip with Seasoned Pitas.  I didn't have much fresh parsley and the dip needed some more flavor.  My pantry also yielded a small can (7-ounces) of petite artichoke hearts.   Oooh.  An idea!  I added the artichoke hearts to my dip and blitzed away.  Delicious!  The perfect foil for the seasoned pita chips.  And hardly any work!


Artichoke-Tuscan Bean Dip with Seasoned Pita Chips

1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
2 cloves of garlic
juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 (7-ounce) can petite artichoke hearts (or equivalent of standard-sized artichoke hearts)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

6 pitas
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a food processor, place beans, garlic, lemon juice, and parsley.  With food processor running, drizzle in 1/3 cup olive oil.  Add artichoke hearts and pulse until desired texture is reached. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper accordingly.

Cut pitas in half. Cut each half into half again, then cut quarters in half again, resulting in 8 chips per pita.  Place on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and oregano.  Mix with hands and spread around baking pan in a single layer.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until slightly golden and crisp.  Serve baked pita chips with dip.

5 comments:

food with style said...

oh this looks good, i want this with cathy's omelet and i am all set for dinner!

lucky you having help cleaning... all i get help with is UNcleaning~

just want to wish you a very happy thanksgiving and thank you so much for sharing your pics at fws!

Kathy Walker said...

Oh yum! This looks great. I know I have to try it this weekend! Thank you.

Rettabug said...

I'm always so excited when I have all the ingredients available to try a new recipe! This one will be on our table later this afternoon. ~Easy~Peasy~Lemon~Squeezy~
I still have fresh parsley growing in my pots, too. Brought them in before our first frost & hopefully, I'll be able to maintain them in the sunroom for several more months.
Thanks for sharing this one, Lori & Happy Thanksgiving!

fondly,
Rett

Linda said...

Looks great GF...Hope you had a nice glass of wine with this!
L ~xo

La Table De Nana said...

I love this type of thing! Happy Thanksgiving Lori..!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin