One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce

This is another one of those favorite family recipes I remember my grandmother and my mom making.  It's one of my all-time favorite desserts, partly because of the caramel sauce since I'm one of the world's biggest fans of caramel.  It's also so easy to make, with relatively few ingredients.  With the family coming for dinner, and the fact that it's apple season, what other reason did I need?!  The cake is rich and moist, even without the sauce, but the sauce puts it 'over the top'.  Delicious!

Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce

1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts
3 cups apple chunks (preferably Red Delicious, approximately 3 large, peeled and cored)
Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 300 F.  Thoroughly grease a tube or bundt pan.

Combine oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.

In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into wet mixture. Carefully stir in apples and nuts.

Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to cake plate.

Caramel Sauce:
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cream or evaporated milk

Over low heat (or in double-boiler), melt brown sugar and butter. Stir in vanilla and cream, cook until thick, stirring occasionally. Spoon over individual portions of cake and serve.


 

21 comments:

Camille said...

WOW!!! Does that ever sound/look YUMMY!! I'll have to try this one! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Linda said...

Oh my ,my,my...that looks amazing Lori!
Beautiful pics...I could dig a slice of that right now with a nice cup of tea! Yeah baby!

From the Old InkWell said...

Oh my goodness! And I was going to diet!!

MaryBeth said...

WOW...fantastic looking cake with a delish sticky sweet sauce....

Thibeault's Table said...

Caramel puts everything over the top. What I wouldn't give for a slice of your cake drizzled with all that delicious caramel.

Federica Simoni said...

wow troppo buono!!! complimenti sembra di averlo davanti!!! bellissime le foto!

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

Perfect for Fall! Yummmm!

Amanda said...

Whoa! That looks fantabulous!

Cathy said...

This is a perfect dessert, Lori. Apples, nuts and caramel sauce. Oh that sauce, I'll find many uses for one of my favorite sweets. Can't wait to try this.

lisaiscooking said...

I'm a huge fan of caramel too, and this cake looks amazing with the sauce!

Deborah Dowd said...

OMG! We are headed to the mountains this weekend and are going to some orchards for apples,so I guess I know how some will be used!

Piee said...

Either I'm reading too fast or its missing....what temperature do I bake it at?

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you, Piee, for pointing out that I forgot to add the oven temp!! I've revised the post to include it.

Thanks again!

La Table De Nana said...

How did I miss this? Thanks Jain!

Bellissimo!!!!

From the Old InkWell said...

Just wanted you to know I made this cake and we LOVED IT! Thank you Thank you! It is now marked as a FAVORITE!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you for the feedback, Marsha! I'm glad you loved it as much as I do!

Unknown said...

I followed the recipe to the letter and the batter resembled crumbs. I added more liquid to create a more batter-like cake batter. Should I have trusted your recipe? Am I missing something?

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Loreley, you should have trusted the recipe! :-D The batter is very stiff. You sort of have to place it in scoops into the baking pan. There is a generous amount of oil in the recipe - between that and the apple chunks, you will end up with a very moist cake.

Next time, try it as written. You won't be sorry!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just made your apple cake. It's amazing on so many levels. I think my apples weren't chopped small enough though. Question on the caramel: what is the point of no return? I ended with something pretty close to a werther's original, but I threw it one the cake anyway. I'm working without a candy thermometer, so a rough thickness or time estimate.
Thanks for sharing!
Ashley

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Hi, Ashley. I don't use a candy thermometer when making this sauce, either. Cook it rather slowly until the sugars are dissolved. As you've probably discovered, the sauce thickens up quite a bit as it cools, so you don't want to cook too much longer after adding the vanilla and cream as the sauce can return to a graininess and thicken too much I'd say that once you add the vanilla and cream, you're not going to cook it for much more than about 5 minutes.

Hope that's helpful!

Fateh said...

I made this cake and it turned out AWESOME! Everybody loved it! I'm so excited to use ur other recipes!

Thanks!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin