One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Thursday, March 12, 2009

Shrimp Tacos

I like cooking with shrimp, particularly when making after-work meals. If they're frozen, they thaw quickly under cold running water. In a continuing effort to eat something a little more substantial than cold cereal for dinner, tonight I decided to go back to my file of shrimp recipes and chose this version of tacos. They're unbelievably easy and unbelievably flavorful. Another winning combination when cooking mid-week!

1/2 cup light sour cream
1 chipotle pepper, minced fine (chipotles are readily available from the supermarket and come in a small can with adobo sauce - use just one pepper, not a whole can of them)
2 limes—save 1/2 of 1 lime for sauce and slice the rest into small wedges for serving
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound peeled, uncooked medium shrimp, cut into smallish pieces
1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning
10 corn tortillas
1/2 cup purple cabbage, shredded fine

In a small bowl combine sour cream, chipotle, and juice from 1/2 a lime, mix well and set aside.

Heat skillet really well and then add oil. Add shrimp and stir fry quickly—the shrimp will cook within 2 - 3 minutes. When almost cooked, sprinkle with the all purpose seasoning then squeeze juice from half a lime on top—give a final stir and you're done.

Warm the tortillas in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat (flour tortillas: about 30 seconds per side; corn tortillas: 1 minute per side). Serve by putting some of the chipotle cream on a tortilla, add a little cabbage, some shrimp and a final fresh squeeze from a lime wedge.

Source: Sam Zien from Just Cook This/ Discovery Health Channel

10 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I love shrimp but I have never had them in a taco before...and I have you know there is nothing wrong with cereal for dinner...LOL

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Good thing, MaryBeth. It's often my dinner! :D

Martha said...

I've never had shrimp tacos but may have to rectify that. You seem to be on a shrimp kick! Of course, there is nothing wrong with that -- we love shrimp!

La Table De Nana said...

I've never had this either!

I just need to get some small tortillas next time I go to the USA..Thanks!
I'll try this..

a quiet life said...

another not dining on this either, but your pic could be converting me fast! i love shrimp so much, its the hubby that balks...

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

They look wonderful Lori!

I've made Shrimp Fajitas, so why not Shrimp Tacos?! :) I actually prefer tacos to fajitas anyway. We would LOVE this, I'm sure.

Thank you for sharing the inspiration! xo~m.

kari and kijsa said...

This looks so tasty! Wish that we had had that for dinner!! MMMmmmm!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Christina Kim said...

Frozen shrimp are a staple in my kitchen. They are great to have on hand for quick recipes like this one. I will have to try this taco recipe out!!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thanks! The shrimp tacos were good (and oh so easy!) ;-)

phanitha said...

These look wonderful...never tried them before..

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin