One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pork Tenderloin

I love cooking pork tenderloin. My go-to way to prepare it is to make a rub of minced fresh rosemary, minced garlic, salt & pepper, rub it on the tenderloin, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Brown it on all sides in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil on top of the stove, then put in a 425 F. oven for 20 - 25 minutes, until the meat is done. Remove the meat from the pan, and let it rest. Over medium heat on top of the stove, deglaze the pan with either red wine or marsala with a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary. Add a little chicken stock and reduce the mixture by half. Whisk in a tablespoon of butter and season with salt & pepper to taste. Strain sauce through a sieve, if desired. The sauce is not only wonderful over the meat, but is great over mashed potatoes if serving with your meal.

One thing I did do different this time, was to pre-salt the pork tenderloin 1-1/2 days ago, then removed the plastic wrap from the meat, and keeping it refrigerated, let it 'air dry' for several hours before cooking per the advice of Ann of Thibeault's Table. The meat was even more tender and juicier than usual. I will definitely try this technique on other cuts of meat and poultry!

This is another great mid-week meal. You can have a hot meal on the table in 45 minutes from the time you walk in the door after work and have often done that. Today the side consisted solely of a tomato salad made with 2 types of tomatoes, fresh basil, salt & pepper, balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Normally I would make some mashed or smashed potatoes and a salad or other green vegetable, like roasted asparagus or broccoli sauteed with garlic and olive oil, drizzled with fresh lemon juice. It's a great meal that tastes like it took a lot longer than it does!

9 comments:

Martha said...

We love pork loin, too, but have never tried the salt method although I've heard of it -- I will have to try it. Yes, I've become simpler too in my menus -- usually the meat and a vegetable. In my mind, you then really taste what you're eating!

La Table De Nana said...

It looks so good..I have to try Ann's way also.I must..I like your Wowzio Widgets too girls! Très cool~

Linda said...

Beautiful Lori...as always!
Have a good week in S.A. ...talk soon!

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, I'm glad you tried the pre-salt method and liked it. Great photo and I like your blog's new look.

MaryBeth said...

This looks just simply perfect...

Marcia said...

I have three boys and they love pork loin. Often, I make a large one on Monday and get two or three meals out of it. The third meal is usually stir fried rice with remaining bits of pork. Thanks for the blog! Hey, I notice that you are a cookbook hoarder like me! Check out my blog on Fridays...I do an
"Old Cookbook Review" every Friday for people like us; people who read cookbooks instead of novels!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thanks, everyone!

Frugalhomekeeping, I will definitely check out your blog on Fridays. I love cookbooks. I keep telling myself no more... but I am easily swayed by all the gorgeous cookbook temptations out there! :-D

Unknown said...

I love PT too! My store has an preseasoned Italian PT. It is amazing!

Carmela said...

I love your blog and the music is so relaxing.

Buon appetito,

Carmela

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin