One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Friday, January 15, 2010

Saturday Blog Showcase - Linda's Goat Cheese with Olives, Lemon & Thyme and Rosemary Flatbread


Welcome to the 2nd week of Saturday Blog Showcase!  I'm hosting the Showcase this week - remember that Ann (Thibeault's Table) will be hosting again next week. Today I'm featuring a recipe I've been wanting to try for quite some time now from Linda of How to Cook A Wolf.  Her pictures of this lovely appetizer have always left me salivating, and so I couldn't wait to try it for myself.  I don't know why I waited so long!  It's delicious, easy, and unique.  The goat cheese gets a little warmed from the infused olive oil and the flatbread is the perfect accompaniment.  Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, Linda.  I'll be making it again and again!

Goat Cheese with Olives, Lemon & Thyme

1/2 cup assorted olives
3 fresh thyme sprigs
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 (4- to 5-ounces) fresh goat-cheese medallion or 2 (2-ounces) goat-cheese buttons

Accompaniment: crisp rosemary flatbread (recipe follows)

Heat olives, thyme, oil, zest, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small skillet or saucepan over low heat until fragrant (do not simmer). Cool to room temperature.

Serve olive mixture over goat cheese.

Cooks' note: This dish can be prepared 2 hours ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.

Rosemary Flatbread
1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary plus 2 (6-inch) sprigs
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
Flaky sea salt such as Maldon

Preheat oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet on rack in middle.

Stir together flour, chopped rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a work surface 4 or 5 times.

Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll out 1 piece (keep remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap) on a sheet of parchment paper into a 10-inch round (shape can be rustic; dough should be thin).

Lightly brush top with additional oil and scatter small clusters of rosemary leaves on top, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Slide round (still on parchment) onto preheated baking sheet and bake until pale golden and browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer flatbread (discard parchment) to a rack to cool, then make 2 more rounds (1 at a time) on fresh parchment (do not oil or salt until just before baking). Break into pieces.

Cooks’ note: Flatbread can be made 2 days ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

Source:  Maggie Ruggerio via Linda/ How to Cook A Wolf 




* * * * * * * * * *

To participate in Saturday Blog Showcase, remember:

  1. Make a recipe from another blog on any day of the week. Create a link to that blog in your post.

  2. Add the Saturday Blog Showcase logo to your post.

  3. On Saturday, link your post to Mr. Linky.

Ann and I look forward to everyone's contributions. Happy Saturday Blog Showcase!

19 comments:

Fresh Local and Best said...

I adore the versatility of these flat breads, they must have a wonderful fresh herb flavor.

Kathleen said...

That looks like a wonderful appetizer..
I'd like to try the flat bread recipe..
Thank you for hosting, Lori

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, I've been looking forward to your post this week ever since you told me what you were planning on making. I'm definitely adding both the flat bread and the goat cheese with olives to my "must" make soon list.

Looks delicious.

Ann

The Muse said...

Thank you so much for visiting me...it was a joy:)

Your lovely recipe here, sounds so enticing...and I have to say we bought some pre-packaged goat cheese and olives at the Costco deli...

My beloved was/is convinced that he can do better!
Now, I shall show him your recipe!!!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a pretty presentation, and it sounds delicious! Thank you for the recipes. laurie

Zurin said...

That is beautiful Lori. n ur photos are simply amazing !!

AllThingsYummy said...

That sounds absolutely delicious. yum!

Sarah said...

This looks so good. I linked my Saturday Showcase Recipe to you.

Atticmag said...

Lori, rosemary flatbread is one of my favorites and it's such a lovely, classic combination with the goat cheese and olives. Thoroughly Mediterranean. So glad to stop by and learn about your Saturday Showcase. And thanks for stopping by to taste my stew. (also, ~~ waving at Ann T)
Jane F

food with style said...

oh my what a combo! and your pics... egads you are fab!

i hope you are reading a book...

Rettabug said...

*Drool* The cheese & olives have me salivating! My local market has a great selection of wonderful olives so this one will be easy for me to try doing.

Your photos are fabulous!

Will somebody tell me what kind of camera to buy so I can get shots like everybody else in blogland????

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you, all.

Rett, I have a simple Canon Powershot A590. I do use a tripod and agonize over the lighting in my kitchen. It's easier for me in the summer, because I can go out to the patio and take photos on the little table out there. But, I'll tell you - I often take 20 photos just to get a few halfway decent ones!!

Linda said...

Beautiful my friend...I am honored that you chose my blog to link to and I am glad you enjoyed this recipe...
Your pics are wonderful!
I am off to see the wizard today so i will post mine later or tomorrow...
L~xo

Anonymous said...

Mmm, looking at those pictures makes me hungry. Even after just finishing breakfast.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Hello Lori, oh my goodness you have my mouth watering. I have been meaning to try this ever since Linda shared it. Now it's a given, I MUST give it a go since two of my favorite cooks have recommended it.

Fantastic photos, too! I'm swallowing often to avoid drooling on the keyboard. :D

xo ~m

supersweetsilver said...

That flatbread looks gooood! I might have to try that next time I have family over for dinner.

Raquel

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Whew... I made it! Sorry I'm late Lori, I had to wait for the "right" natural light to take the pics. *roll eyes* You know how THAT is.

Thanks for hosting us, you're a gem.
xo ~m

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle said...

It is always great to find other bloggers from TX. I love your site.. the food photos and the photo of your dog :)

Pam said...

Love your blog. Thje post and pics are fab!
Pam

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin