One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Saturday, January 23, 2010

Orange Pork Stir-Fry with Brown Rice

Today was a day spent asking myself the $64,000 question:  What should I make for dinner tonight??  I looked in the freezer and saw some thick center-cut pork chops I had wrapped individually.  I took one nice sized chop out to thaw and spent an hour on the internet trying to decide how to make it into dinner.  I narrowed my search down to something with an Asian flair and since I still had a few of the Cara Cara oranges left, thought it would be good idea to find a recipe incorporating orange in it.  I found the perfect recipe:  Orange Pork Stir-Fry at Cookreceipts.com.  I made a few subtle changes, only used green onions along with carrots that I had sliced on a mandoline, and decided to serve the stir-fry over brown rice.  I love the chewiness of brown rice, though it does take a bit longer to cook than white rice.  It was all delicious!  I'll be making this again!

Orange Pork Stir-Fry

1/2 cup Orange juice
2 tablespoons Sesame oil
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon mirin
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
3/4 pound pork tenderloin, cut into strips
3 cups mixed fresh vegetables*, such as any combination of the following:
-green pepper, red pepper,snow peas, carrots, green onions,mushrooms, onions
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
3 cups hot cooked brown rice

Combine orange juice, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, mirin, ginger and orange zest peel in small bowl. Add pork; marinate one hour. Drain pork; reserve marinade. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add pork; stir-fry 3 minutes, or until pork is lightly browned. Add vegetables; stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes until vegetables are tender-crisp. Combine cornstarch with marinade; add to pan, stir until thickened. Serve immediately over rice.

5 comments:

AllThingsYummy said...

Brown rice is sooo yummy and much better for you than white rice. I love the brown rice they serve at PF Changs but haven't been able to recreate it yet.

Zurin said...

WOW!!! what a beautiful photo! I could just pull teh plate up and start eating! beautiful!

La Table De Nana said...

You are so industrious!! This looks delish too..

I am trying to listen to your music and concentrate..:) Oh Michael..Too young..:(What a talent..:)

Kathleen said...

This looks super yummy. Great to serve brown rice instead of white.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

We would love this dish Lori!

So many flavors that I favor (and I FOUND the Cara Caras!) Double thanks for sharing about the oranges and for the recipe.

Love pork but I have fresh chicken breasts on hand so I may do a variation of this on Tuesday. I'll link back to you if I make it.

Your photos (as always) are beautiful! xo

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin