One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jam Thumbprints


I love these cookies.  I remember the first time I tasted them, I was in heaven.  Shortbread, coconut, and the raspberry-plum jam I make every year.  What's not to like?!  My family fell in love with them.  I brought a batch to work - they fell in love with them.  In fact, one of my co-workers told me he developed a craving for these cookies!  Truth be told... I have, too!

Jam Thumbprint Cookies

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water (egg wash)
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
 Raspberry and/or apricot jam (I used my homemade raspberry-plum jam)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined, and then add the vanilla.  Separately, sift together the flour and salt.  With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar.  Mix until the dough starts to come together.  Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disc.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.



Roll the dough into 1-1/4 inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1 ounce.)  Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll in coconut.  Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger.  Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown.  Cool and serve.



Yield:  32 to 36 cookies


Source:  Barefoot Contessa Family Style, copyright 2002



For Printable Recipe, Click Here

16 comments:

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, I can understand developing a craving for these cookies. They don't last long around here when I make them using your recipe.

They look so pretty with your homemade Raspberry Plum Jam.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Oh my goodness Lori! Those are one of my very favorite cookies too, but I don't think I've ever seen a prettier version of them.

You captured them in such an ethereal (and mouthwatering) way! :D Absolutely beautiful my friend. xo

La Table De Nana said...

Thumbprints W/ coconut!!?? Be still my heart:)

Zurin said...

I love thumprint oookies.....n with coconut! thats is beautifully different!

Unknown said...

OH WOW!!! GREAT!!! recipe using coconut.
Come by and visit so you can enter my GREAT!!! giveaway for a waffle maker.
Geri

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh, they are so pretty too! laurie

Sarah said...

These look great. I love coconut and have never made thumbprint cookies using it.

Martha said...

These are wonderful cookies and a favorite of ours as well. Haven't made them in a while, but I think I need to rectify that!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

They are BEAUTIFUL! What's not to like, indeed!

Linda said...

These are one of my favorite Ina recipes Lori and yours looks absolutely gorgeous!
Yummmm....I need to bake some really soon...
L~xo

2 Stews said...

Coconut thumbprint cookies with homemade jam...just saying it sets my palate aflutter!

Thanks Lori!

Diane

Cathy said...

Fantastic, Lori. That's my idea of the perfect cookie. The coconut really makes these special. And your homemade jam too, of course.

dtbrents said...

The cookies are beautiful and sound great. I have drapes, sheets and a comforter in the design of the napkin in your first picture on the page. It's a beautiful design. Doylene

The Wife said...

These look delicious! I've made thumbprint cookies before, but usually with chocolate or peanut butter - never with coconut (which I love)!

patti said...

I've tried many a thumbprint cookie, with melted chocolate in the center, raspberry jam, etc. , but when I saw these with the coconut I pulled out my half jar of pineapple preserves in the fridge to use in the middle. They go together perfectly like a pina colada, and have a little more macaroon like 'chew' to them than the usual melt in your mouth thumbprint cookie.

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Patti, I love the idea of pineapple preserves in the middle! Great idea. Thanks for the tip and for stopping by All That Splatters.

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin