One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chicken Paillards with Avocado-Pomegranate Salsa



When I received the most recent edition of Fine Cooking, some of the recipes really caught my eye.  The first one I couldn't wait to try was the Chicken Paillards with Avocado-Pomegranate Salsa.  The magazine's photos drew me in and I just knew I would love the dish.  I wasn't wrong.  It's a delicious chicken dish with a variety of flavors and textures that I just loved.  The recipe does call for pomegranate molasses which I happened to have in the pantry.  I've heard that you can cook down pomegranate juice to a thick syrupy consistency for a homemade version.  It's well worth adding it. The only unfortunate thing about making this recipe... my photos don't do the dish justice.  Trust me - this is a beautiful, delicious recipe!

Chicken Paillards with Avocado-Pomegranate Salsa


4 4-to-6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Salsa
1 large lemon
1/2 medium pomegranate
3 small green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 medium firm-ripe avocadoes, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon finely minced seeded jalapeno
1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
Kosher salt

Prepare the chicken:  Pound each chicken breast between  pieces of plastic wrap until about 1/8-inch thick.  In a shallow bowl, stir in the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the pomegranate molasses, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Add the chicken, turn to coat well, and cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.


Make the salsa:  Finely grate the zest from the lemon and then squeeze 1 tablespoon juice.  Pick the seeds out of the pomegranate*, discarding any pith, and put them in a bowl.  Add the lemon zest and juice, scallions, avocado, olive oil, parsley, jalapeno, pomegranate molasses, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Fold gently with a rubber spatula.  Season to taste with more salt, if needed.

Cook the chicken:  Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.  Add 2 of the chicken breasts and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.  Flip and cook until lightly browned on the other side and cooked through, about 3 minutes more.  Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.  Repeat with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and 2 chicken breasts.  Serve the chicken with the salsa spooned over the top.

*To remove the seeds from a pomegranate, I slice the pomegranate horizontally and thwack the outer rind with a wooden spoon which releases the seeds.


Source:  Fine Cooking, Feb/Mar 2010

* * * * * * * * * *


Thank you to Michael at Designs by Gollum for hosting another Foodie Friday.  Please take a look at Michael's blog to see all the other wonderful dishes contributed by the other participants!



28 comments:

Sue said...

Thanks for visiting me today! As for your pictures...I think they are amazing. I could lick the screen:) The chicken dish sounds wonderful. I love to cook, but can't imagine I would happen to have pomegranate molasses around the house. You must be quite the gourmet cook. I'm saving this one...love the combination of flavor and texture.

Sue

vignette design said...

I think your pictures are great. The chicken looks delicious! --Delores

Wren Barrett 2011 said...

Love your blog! I can't wait to try this recipe. Keep em coming!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Company worthy recipe. AND, who has pom syrup in their pantry? A true foodie! Beautifully done. Lori you never disappoint!
Yvonne

Lazy_Ducky said...

Great! Thanks for recipe! Looks really tasty and i was thinking how to utilize pomegranate seeds!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

wow I will have to try that recipe it looks wonderful, Lori it looks wonderful and i am sold, I've gotta go shop for stuff to make it now, loved my visit...

Marjorie Savill Linthwaite said...

Lori, Happy New Year - Marjorie

Martha said...

This looks yummy and it looks like Christmas with the red and green!

Linda said...

Lori...your pics are fabulous and certainly do the dish justice...
This looks wonderful...I will have to get the magazine asap...
Beautiful!

La Table De Nana said...

I hope I still have an avocado..Look at that!

Haden News said...

This looks so good, I really want to try it! Where did you find pomegranate molasses?

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Kendra, pomegranate molasses is a Middle Eastern product. Your favorite grocery store may carry it if they have a foreign foods aisle or may be able to order it for you. Otherwise, you might want to locate a market specializing in Middle Eastern fare. If you're unsuccessful in finding it, you can always make your own. Here's Alton Brown's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pomegranate-syrup-or-molasses-recipe/index.html.

Hope that helps!

Dragana said...

YUM! Now I have another recipe I can use my pomagranate molasses in! This looks delicious and your pictures are good

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks sooo delicious. And your tablescape is just gorgeous. I love all the creams. And the flamingo is darling. Rosie

Rettabug said...

You already HAD "pomegranate molasses" in your cupboard???? Now I know I'm outta my league, hanging around you & Jain & Mari!!! LOL
It looks divine & does make my mouth water, just seeing the gorgeous photos.

Thanks for the birthday wishes...I'm going to celebrate all week long! Oh, & I would have divorced him too for breaking your blue Fire King dishes! :p

Mary Bergfeld said...

What gorgeous photos to accompany a lovely recipe. Your chicken sounds delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful Foodie Friday.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

All my faves in one dish. I'm so making this. Not only is it plated beautifully, it looks out of this world good. A fantastic recipe and commentary!

La Table De Nana said...

IT's DELICIOUS:)!!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Monique - I'm so glad you liked it. You should link it to Saturday Blog Showcase!!

Zurin said...

god that looks so good!!

La Table De Nana said...

I will!! Can I do it next Sat? I had the book review this weekend?:)It's all ready!No real photos just before..you are my after!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Of course!

Cristy said...

I haven't seen Fine Cooking's photos, but yours look great! We feature a blogger every week on the Avocados from Mexico site and you're it for this week for this fantastic looking recipe..come visit the site...www.avocadofiesta.com, click on the blogger of the week button and it will take you straight to your recipe until next Monday. Nice job!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you, Christy! I'm honored!

Kathy Walker said...

This looks delightful. I love the colors...and the flavor that I am imagining....this is a must do. Thank you!

Trish said...

This looks so scrumptious! Love avocado and love pomegranate so this recipe is sure to please. I echo the sentiments here...your photos are great!

Pam said...

This dish is beautiful and I bet it's delicious also. Another for my "Gotta Make It" List
Pam

Kate at Serendipity said...

I'm imagining these flavors together--poms and avocado and green onion and the heat from the jalapeno. YUM!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin