One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Friday, January 1, 2010

Meringues



After visiting the blog of my friend, Monique, of La Table de Nana, I was so enamored of her pretty pink meringues, I couldn't wait to make some, too.  I immediately took a few eggs out of the fridge to come to room temperature.

I've never tried coloring meringues before, but since Monique's came out so gorgeous tinted a soft pink, I thought I would try a little coloring, as well.  I didn't want to be a total copycat, so I chose to tinge half of the meringues a soft baby blue while leaving the rest of them white.  I love the way they came out - almost cloud-like!

I did use a slightly different recipe than Ms. M's.  The recipe I used called for cream of tartar as opposed to vinegar and a baking time of 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours.  I also tweaked the recipe I used by using almond extract in lieu of vanilla extract.  The taste is delicious and the white meringues stayed truly pristine white.

Thank you, Monique, for another lovely idea!  Pretty and tasty, too!


Meringue Cookies

3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup superfine or caster sugar (if you don't have superfine sugar simply take granulated white sugar and process it for about 30 seconds in a food processor)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 200 F. and place the rack in the center of your oven. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. You can form the cookies with a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4 inch star tip, place in a Ziploc bag and snip a corner, or just mound with a teaspoon.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in the almond extract.

Note: The meringue is done when it holds stiff peaks and when you rub a little between your thumb and index finger it does not feel gritty. If it feels gritty the sugar has not fully dissolved so keep beating until it feels smooth between your fingers.

Pipe or spoon meringues onto prepared baking sheet. Bake the meringues for approximately 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours, rotating the baking sheet from front to back (about half way through) to ensure even baking. The meringues are done when they are pale in color and fairly crisp. Turn off the oven, open the door a crack, and leave the meringues in the oven to finish drying for several hours or even overnight.


Adapted from JoyOfBaking.com






* * * * * * * * * *
 

Thanks to Michael, of Designs by Gollum, for sponsoring another Foodie Friday!  Check out her site for the delightful dishes of all the other participants!


13 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I'm in love with your photos:) Lori..they are gorgeous!!Heaven-like!!

Jeanette said...

The photos are just incredible! A dear friend of ours just found out she was pregnant. Wouldn't these be too cute at the shower!

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, what a way to start off the New Year. Between you and Monique I'm now craving meringues. So pretty. I love the picture with them spilling out of the bowl.

Ann

2 Stews said...

Happy New Year, Lori! Your meringues are so very beautiful! Just fantasy like! I just visited La Table de Nana and I guess great minds think alike. I spent the day making meringues and photographing them, before I saw either of yours. I have quite the gems to shine beside. Thank you for your lovely post.

Diane

food with style said...

wow you and monique are twins in the pretty dept! i love these, you did such a pretty lay out too, you both are such sweet girlie girls! happy new year, looking forward to a whole new year of treats from you~

Martha said...

I love meringues in any form (macaroons, pavolova, cookies) . . . I just may have to make these (eggs are on sale here this week!)

Thanks for sharing!

The Muse said...

Hello! First, thank you for your blog visit. I was delighted to have you at the mysterymeatloaf.blogspot.

I recall my Nanny's little cookies...As a child I was trying to understand the me, you, yours aspect...for a very long time...

I called my Nannys meringues...were myringues!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi -- gorgeous pictures of your meringues! I never thought of tinting them. I used to make these all the time when my girls were little -- with tiny chocolate chips mixed in! The kids called them "cloud cookies," because I didn't pipe them, just plopped them onto the cookie sheets, so they were rather free-form, like clouds!

Thanks for the memory, and I may have to take a few eggs out of the fridge; we are running low (if by low I mean ALL GONE) on Christmas cookies!

Cass

Unknown said...

I used to make these a long time ago... I don't know why I ever stopped! Thanks for the reminder of these wonderful cookies!

~Really Rainey~

Rattlebridge Farm said...

The meringues look like little clouds that floated away from heaven. Oh, my! I've got to try these. I hope you have a wonderful 2010!

Carolyn said...

Those are beautiful!!!

Carolyn

Deana Sidney said...

These are the most beautiful meringues ever!!! The colors...the light coming through them... great post!

Zurin said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! :))beautiful fotos too.

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin