One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Thursday, February 26, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze

A while back, we had a little bake-off at the office. After struggling over my decision of what to make, I finally decided on a flourless chocolate cake. Now how can you go wrong with chocolate? (Answer: You can't!) I'm generally not a chocolate-cake-kinda-person, but give me fudgey chocolate cake, and I immediately reverse my position. This Bon Appetit recipe was not difficult to make, fudgey and decadent... a winner in my book AND at our little bake-off!

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze

For cake
12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 large eggs, separated
12 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For glaze
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
9 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Chocolate shavings

Make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper or waxed paper; butter paper. Wrap outside of pan with foil. Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, stirring often.

Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Fold lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla extract. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until medium-firm peaks form. Fold whites into chocolate mixture in 3 additions. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake cake until top is puffed and cracked and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack (cake will fall).

Gently press down crusty top to make evenly thick cake. Using small knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Remove pan sides. Place 9-inch-diameter tart pan bottom or cardboard round atop cake. Invert cake onto tart pan bottom. Peel off parchment paper.

Make glaze: Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.

Place cake on rack set over baking sheet. Spread 1/2 cup glaze smoothly over top and sides of cake. Freeze until almost set, about 3 minutes. Pour remaining glaze over cake; smooth sides and top. Place cake on platter. Chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; store at room temperature.) Garnish with chocolate shavings or leaves. Serve at room temperature.
Serves 10 to 12.

Source: Bon Appétit January 1999

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum! Wow! Love it! I would have loved seeing a slice - and then imaging myself eating it.

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you, Jamie! A shot of it sliced would have been a good idea. Next time for sure! :)

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Lori, you're killin' me with all of this gorgeous food!

Your cake is a work of art, and the crowning glory--- those chocolate curls are perfection.

I love coming to your blog to see what fabulous creations you have been making! xo~m.

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, What a creation. I have been in the need of a chocolate fix ever since this morning when I first saw your cake. I have to keep coming back.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ok...this is stunning, and rich, and oh. so. chocolate! I think I am drooling.


Yes indeed. i am.

a quiet life said...

hey, how come you are hoarding all the cake over here? how did i miss this! looks fab!

Linda said...

OMG...Lori...
That is just a thing of beauty!

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. I love chocolate cake, and the flourless variety are so decadent!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oooh, Lori, you are BAD as in GOOD! This looks FAB-O! Thanks for this sinful recipe. I will be in Heaven when I try it. Better yet, how about sending me a piece through the computer. They need to invent a way to do that next! I would be one happy camper! :-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Chandy said...

Hello Lori! Thank you for stopping by my blog and the wonderful comment. Visit anytime!

I will so make that pork fried rice you have and that cake, mmmm!

What Now? Tablescapes

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

The cake was a fun project. It's not difficult at all to make. I hope you all try it and let me know how it turns out!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin