One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Friday, February 12, 2010

Saturday Blog Showcase #6 - Chicken Satay


I hope you will join Ann (of Thibeault's Table) and me in participating in the sixth edition of Saturday Blog Showcase.

If you would like to participate, just:
  1. Make a recipe from another blog on any day of the week.  Create a link to that blog in your post.
  2. Add the Saturday Blog Showcase logo to your post.
  3. On Friday night or Saturday, link your post to Mr. Linky.


I stumbled upon a mouth-watering blog called Dishing Up Delights, full of delicious-sounding recipes and gorgeous photographs.  One of the recipes that struck me was Esi's Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce.  I love satays and was anxious to try this version.  The marinade was so easy - just throw everything in the blender - and the aromas of gingerroot and garlic were heady.  I took one very large chicken breast and cut it into 1/4-inch thick slices, marinating the chicken slices for about 45 minutes.  Using a grill pan, I cooked the chicken til they were done but not dry.  The peanut sauce ingredients all went into a small saucepan over low heat until the peanut butter was melted and the sauce was smooth.  I did doctor the sauce just a bit.  I used lime juice instead of lemon, added about 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil, along with a pinch of salt.  It was delicious.  Such an easy recipe with big taste!  Love that!!

Chicken Marinade

1/2 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 tablespoon ginger root, grated
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound of chicken thighs, cut into cubes

In a food processor or blender, dump in everything except the chicken and blend until smooth.

Cover chicken with marinade. You can place the chicken into a bowl, cover/seal and chill, or place the whole lot of it into a ziploc bag, seal and chill.

If using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak your skewers in warm water for at least 20 minutes before preparing skewers.

Gently and slowly slide meat strips onto skewers. Discard leftover marinade.

Broil or grill a 8-10 minutes per side or until the edges just start to char. Flip and cook another 8-10 minutes.

Peanut Sauce

3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar, plus more to taste if desired
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Mix the brown sugar, cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Add soy sauce and lemon, mix well.

Over low heat, combine coconut milk, peanut butter and your soy-lemon-seasoning mix. Mix well, stir often.

All you’re doing is melting the peanut butter, so make your peanut sauce after you’ve made everything else in your meal, or make ahead of time and reheat.

Source:  Dishingupdelights.blogspot.com


* * * * * * * * * *


11 comments:

Bob said...

Oh man, that looks wicked good. I love satay.

Rettabug said...

Good Morning, Lori,
Thanks for hosting the Sat. Blog Showcase this week.

I will certainly be trying your satay, as it is one of my DD's favorites. She almost cried when the restaurant, Hunan of Aurora, closed here & has been looking for a good replacement ever since.

I made your blueberry scones this week & am having them for breakfast with my tea right this minute. :D :D DELICIOUS!!!

Thanks again,
Rett

La Table De Nana said...

At first I thought I saw satan..I cannot get my head around that..Satay..that's a different story~..That we truly enjoy~Great presentation!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely presentation. Satay happens to be a favorite of mine. As a matter of fact I've never come across a peanut sauce I didn't love. I suspect these taste every bit as good as they look. Thanks for sponsoring this event. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

We're crazy about chicken satay....I'm going to have to try this recipe.... Yummy. :-)

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Cathy said...

This looks sooo good, Lori. Chicken satay is my favorite lunch during the farmers market season. You've inspired me to make it at home, especially with that peanut sauce.

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, I know what we will be having for dinner one night soon. Your satay looks delicious.

Thanks for hosting the Saturday Blog Showcase.

Zurin said...

Beautiful Satay Lori!!! the peanut sauce looks incredible! Lovely lovely ~

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Hi Lori! Thank you for hosting us this week.

I have such a craving for Chicken Satay right now, thanks to you and your fabulous photos! Your peanut sauce looks divine. Very, very nice. xo

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

This looks so delish! Peanut butter and chicken make a great combo. Nice photos.

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

That just looks too good - I'm having it tonight!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin