One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Russian Teacakes...


... or Mexican Wedding Cookies, the two names that come to mind for the same cookie.  The little bits of shortbread dough mixed with finely chopped nuts, rolled into balls and baked.  Rolling the still warm little cookies into enough powdered sugar so that they're completely covered (and you have to be careful not to breathe in at the wrong moment when you're about to eat them... )  I remember making these little treats in Home Economics class in junior high school.  Because of their simplicity and flavor, they have long since been a favorite of mine.  Getting ready for company, I decided this was a good time to break out the recipe and share these little spheres of buttery sweetness with my guests.  I hope they like them as much as I do!!

Russian Teacakes

2/3 cups toasted nuts (hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts are all good choices - I used walnuts this time)
2 cups of flour, divided
1 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup confectioners' sugar to roll baked cookies in

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

Toast the nuts in a dry skillet on top of the stove over low heat, stirring frequently.  (This should take about 5 - 8 minutes.)  Cool.

Place cooled, toasted nuts and 2 tablespoons of the flour in a food processor, and finely chop the nuts, being careful not to over-process the nuts to a paste.  Set aside.

In bowl of mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 - 2 minutes.  Beat in vanilla.  Add remaining flour and salt, and beat until well-combined.  Stir in nuts.  Cover and refrigerate dough for about 1 hour or until dough is firm.

Form the dough into walnut-sized balls, and place them 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.Bake 12 - 15 minutes, until the edges of the cookies start to turn golden.  Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for about 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, sift remaining powdered sugar.  Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar until well-covered.

Store in an airtight container.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


Russian Teacakes, Mexican Wedding Cake on Foodista

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny what you said about breathing in the wrong way before biting...so true! We call them snowball cookies because we only make them for fall/winter. You can't sneak one either...cause there's always a sprinkle of sugar on you somewhere, lol! Happy Holidays hun!

Martha said...

These are a favorite of mine as well -- love anything rolled in powdered sugar -- especially fun to eat when you're wearing black! These are one of those recipes that goes by many names. They were Swedish Tea Cakes to us -- but by whatever name they are yummy and yours look good!

La Table De Nana said...

My kind of dessert! I just made something coated in fine sugared snow too..Your teacakes are so pretty!!I am swayibg w/ the music too:)

Cathy said...

It wouldn't be Christmas without these wonderful cookies on the dessert table. What a great photo, Lori. I could just reach into the screen and take one (or two) off of your plate.

Chelsea and Cody said...

I love, love, love this recipe. O, and I love, love, love your blog...thanks!

MaryBeth said...

OMG...I simply love these cookies and was just telling my mother in law that I needed to find a recipe for them. YUMM-O

Dragana said...

I think every nation makes a version of this cookie. Serbs call them 'gurabije' and the Greeks 'kourambiethes'. I love them especially a few days after they are baked and they melt in your mouth!

Tiffiny Felix said...

I'm so happy you posted this! I remember these from when I was a kid and have been wanting to make them, but didn't know what they were called. I'm *very* excited :)

Tiffiny Felix said...

I made these this morning and they are wonderful! Thanks for the very tasty recipe! :)

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin