One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cara Cara Orange Tart



While in the grocery store the other day, I came across a bag of Cara Cara oranges.  I had just seen a segment on this type of orange on Martha Stewart's show a few weeks ago and was anxious to try them.  At first glance, they looked like a typical, albeit smaller version, of a regular navel orange, but the scent was definitely stronger and sweeter.  When I cut into one, I couldn't believe the amazing color - a rich, red-orange flesh.  The taste was indeed sweeter than a traditional orange.  What a find!

Now that I was in possession of several of these beauties, how to use them to their best advantage?  Of course, eating them out of hand was definitely a front-runner, but a quick scan of Epicurious.com divulged a Blood Orange Tart with a Blood Orange Caramel Sauce.  The Cara Cara oranges would sub beautifully in this tart, I was sure.  And I was not disappointed!

If you come across Cara Cara oranges, also known as the Power Oranges, I highly recommend giving them a try.  Their season is short, so look for them soon!


Cara Cara Orange Tart with Cara Cara Orange Caramel Sauce
If you can't find Cara Cara oranges in your supermarket, you can substitute blood oranges or regular navel oranges in both the tart and the Orange Caramel Sauce.

Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings

Orange curd
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup fresh Cara Cara orange juice
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
6 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon grated Cara Cara orange peel
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, room temperature

Crust
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 large egg yolk

5 Cara Cara oranges
Cara Cara Orange Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)

For orange curd: Whisk sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, eggs, egg yolks, and orange peel in medium metal bowl to blend. Add butter; set bowl over saucepan of simmering water and whisk constantly until curd thickens and instant-read thermometer inserted into curd registers 175°F, about 12 minutes (do not boil). Remove bowl from over water. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd; chill at least 1 day and up to 3 days.

For crust: Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cream and egg yolk and process until dough clumps together. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Roll out dough on floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 10-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Fold dough overhang in and press onto pan sides, forming double-thick sides. Pierce crust all over with fork; freeze 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake crust until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Cool crust completely in pan on rack. Spread curd evenly in cooled crust. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)

Cut peel and white pith from oranges. Using small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release orange segments. Transfer segments to paper towels and pat dry. Arrange orange segments in concentric circles atop orange curd. Chill tart up to 1 hour.

Remove pan sides. Cut tart into wedges. Drizzle lightly with Orange Caramel Sauce and serve.



Cara Cara Orange Caramel Sauce
Yield: Makes about 2/3 cup
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh Cara Cara orange juice
1/2 teaspoon grated Cara Cara orange peel

Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil without stirring until deep amber color, occasionally brushing down pan sides with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 8 minutes.

Carefully add orange juice and orange peel (mixture will bubble vigorously). Stir over low heat until smooth and any caramel bits dissolve. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)


13 comments:

Fresh Local and Best said...

It's great to know how special these oranges are. I recently found them at Whole Foods and have not tried them yet. Will get more next time I see them.

donna baker said...

I have been juicing my Meyer lemons today which I grow and are currently residing in my barn for the winter. Your tart looks devine; I'll have to try it. Come by and get a few recipes from time to time at my blog. Ditto. I had a blast listening to your music. And, Kenny Lattimore killed that song. Have you heard the original by Elton John? Judy Collins sang it 2nd then Sting. Love all their takes on it.

a quiet life said...

it looks so good i will have to try this! wishing you a happy new years eve, all you need is the champagne to celebrate the pie!

La Table De Nana said...

This looks incredible!Happy New Year!

Martha said...

What a beautiful tart! This may be my dessert for the January luncheon for the Lunch Bunch! I have those oranges but didn't know what they were -- bought a sack at Costco or Sam's. They were so colorful inside that I thought they were grapefruit -- I guess I didn't realize they were special.

Now, hopefully, when I hunt for them, I'll be able to find them again!

Happy New Year

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, gorgeous tart. The colour of the oranges is really something. I don't recall seeing that variety in our grocery store, but I'm definitely going to look for them.

Happy New Year!!!

Linda said...

Lori your tart looks so wonderful and refreshing on this snowy New years Eve morning...just gorgeous. I have not seen this type of orange here as of yet...will have to keep my eyes open...
gorgeous pics as always my friend...
Wishing you and yours a very Happy and Healthy New Year!
L~xo

Joy Tilton said...

This looks unbelivably beautiful and delicious, so fresh...perfect for the New Year! Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes that you've shared this year. Wishing you health and happiness in 2010!
joycee at grannymountain

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Oh my goodness Lori, that is one of the most gorgeous tarts I have ever seen. I'll be looking for these oranges, for sure.

Um, would it be wrong to start off the new year with a dainty slice of that beauty for breakfast?! :)

It's always such a pleasure to come visit your lovely blog, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us in 2010.

All the best to you and your loved ones my friend. Happy New Year! xo

Deana Sidney said...

This picture was like sunshine on my screen... so gorgeous!

Sara said...

Mmmm, this looks incredible! I will definitely have to try it out. YUM! :)

Sarah said...

I found you through Jain's wonderful Food with Style posting. I've never heard of Cara Cara Oranges. These tarts look so delicious. I want to try these so thank you for sharing. ~ Happy New Year!
Sarah

Chuey said...

I got some of these at Trader Joes this morning!! Box with about 8 or 9 fo $6. Juicy & Sweet!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin