One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Saturday, May 9, 2009

Scallops

I love scallops. Their texture is tender, their taste is so sweet, they're easy to cook, and they adapt well to all kinds of flavors. You can spice them up with chipotle powder or season them simply with just a little salt and pepper. So, I'm always on the lookout for different ways to prepare them. I came across this recipe on Epicurious.com. It looked easy, healthy (a bonus!), and most of all, very flavorful. And it proved to be all those things. The salsa lends itself to change without forfeiting any flavor. Add a little minced jalapeno or change up the fruits called for in the recipe. (I substituted mango for the papaya this evening, which was wonderful!) This will be an easy go-to meal during the hellacious Dallas summers!

Canyon Ranch Scallops
Yield: 4 servings

1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1/4 cup grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Half a ripe papaya, peeled and diced
1-1/2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon chopped green onion
1 teaspoon minced red onion
Pinch of salt

1 pound sea scallops (about 12)

In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons oil and zest. Let sit 1 hour at room temperature. Strain mixture, using a fine sieve.
In another small bowl, combine honey and lime juice. Add remaining ingredients for papaya relish and mix well.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan. Sauté scallops over medium heat until cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. For each serving, place 3 scallops on a plate and drizzle 1 tablespoon lemon oil over scallops. Top with 2 tablespoons papaya relish.

Source: Self magazine, 2003 via Epicurious.com

5 comments:

chow and chatter said...

looks great never cooked scallops will try it

La Table De Nana said...

I'll keep this one aslo ..I bet even Maple syrup vs honey in a pinch?:)

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, Great photo. Love the beautiful crust on the scallops. Definitely something that Moe would love.

theUngourmet said...

I hate to admit it but I usually don't go for scallops but these look really great. The crust is what draws me in. I like to cook my salmon with a nice crust too! Thanks for the great recipe!

Jamie said...

I, for one, love scallops yet I have never cooked them! These look absolutely delicious! I must try it!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin