One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Saturday, October 16, 2010

Weekend Blog Showcase - Rosemary Tomato Tarts


It's the third edition of Weekend Blog Showcase -- moving right along!  Please join Ann (Thibeault's Table) and me in showcasing recipes from around the food blog world. Please see the text at the end of this post to learn more about the Weekend Blog Showcase and how you can participate, too!

The recipe I decided on for this weekend comes from DandySugar.  Lisa's photography is stunning (I'm always so in awe of great photography - check out her photos for her Cherry Peach Almond Crisps!), as are her wonderful recipes.  Lisa says she was introduced to cooking via a hand-me-down aqua-colored Easy Bake Oven... I had that same oven, only mine was brand new (showing my age!), and experienced the same  spark.  Ah - a kindred spirit!


I've had Lisa's recipe for her Rosemary Tomato Tarts bookmarked for quite some time now, and since I had everything on hand, this was my chosen recipe for this week's Showcase.  And am I ever glad I finally made these.  So easy, so utterly delicious.

I ended up making four 4-inch tarts using tart pans with removable bottoms.  After realizing I hadn't eaten all day, I easily downed two of these babies for dinner!  I will be making these again and again.  The filling was delicious, the crust extremely flaky.  Thank you, Lisa, for a wonderful recipe I will happily add to my own repertoire!!

Rosemary Tomato Tarts
For three 5-inch tarts or one 9-inch (I made four 4-inch tarts)

Savory Tart Crust
1-1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter (very, very cold and cubed) (I used frozen butter and cut it into little pieces with a heavy chef's knife)
1/4 teaspoon palm sugar (I didn't have palm sugar so used regular granulated sugar)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1-3 tablespoons ice cold water (I ended up using 5 tablespoons)

In a food processor, combine flour, salt, sugar and rosemary. Pulse 1 - 2 times until just incorporated. Add the butter cubes and pulse until mixture resembles course meal about the size of a pea. Add water a tablespoon at a time and pulse only until mixture just comes together. Test by squeezing a pinch of dough. If it sticks together it’s done.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Form into a disk shapes, flour all sides, and wrap well with plastic. (If making small tarts, separate dough into thirds or fourths and wrap each individually.) Refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to 24 hours. When you are ready to roll out, make sure to let dough come to room temperature for about 10-15 minutes before rolling out.

Preheat oven to 350 when you are ready to make your tarts.

Rosemary Tomato Filling
3 - 4 tomatoes (I used one large beefsteak tomato)
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced into thin strips
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
goat cheese
juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Saute onions for about 5 minutes until they are translucent. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add the rosemary and stir. Add the lemon juice and stir. Remove from heat.

Roll out your dough into rounds and place each round into a tart shell. Carefully press dough into shell and cut off excess to use for another tart if necessary. Poke holes in the bottom of shells and evenly distribute the onion mixture in each shell, following with a sprinkling of goat cheese. Arrange tomato slices on top. Add a very light drizzle of olive oil and top with chopped fresh rosemary.

Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool for 10 minutes.  (I sprinkled a little coarse sea salt on the tarts before serving - perfect!)

* * * * * * * * * *

Please join Ann and me for Weekend Blog Showcase.  To participate, make a recipe from a blog other than your own and post about it, giving credit to the blog you've borrowed the recipe from.  Put the WBS logo on your post and sign in to Mr. Linky. That's all there is to it!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori! I am so happy to be joining in with your linky party today! Thanks so much for having me and thank you also for sharing Lisa's recipe for Rosemary Tomato Tarts. They look delicious!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, that looks sooooo good. Just the idea of pastry with fresh rosemary has me wanting to try this recipe. Thank you.

Ann

Lisa said...

Hi Lori,

What a beautiful post. I am so glad you enjoyed this tart, it is a favorite of mine. So great with a yummy salad or soup too! Yours turned out fabulous! Have a great weekend!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I've made tomato tart before but it pales in comparison to this one! I love the idea of onion in the filling too. Your mini tarts are beautiful and something I don't have in my baking supplies. I must get some and try this recipe.

La Table De Nana said...

Don't you lobe those 4 inch tart pans? They make everything cute..and this sounds and looks more than cute:)I love the onion and rosemary too.

Cathy said...

What a lovely way to use the luscious tomatoes that are still available. The little tart pans are perfect for this dish.

Kathy said...

Oh that made my mouth water. I love fresh tomatoes and goat cheese. These little tarts look like a perfect lunch. I'll have to try them.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I made the Fat Witch brownies today for the Weekend Blog Showcase...my section with Heath bar bits was extremely good!!! Fun to join you again this week.

MaryBeth said...

My husband would love this little tart...

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

PS...your tart looks superb! Wish I had some good tomatoes and I'd try it this week!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Liz, I think you could use less-than-perfect tomatoes and still end up with a tasty tart! The baking does intensify the tomato a bit.

Lisa said...

I linked up (I'm #5) and the linked recipe is for peach jam spirals. They were excellent. That tomato tart, by the way, looks like the perfect way to use tomatoes and let their flavor shine.

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Deliziosa ricetta, baci

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

You've been tagged, Lori. Answer these 8 questions in a new post, and tag 7 bloggers with your own questions (I'm having trouble coming up with 7 bloggers I know!!).

My questions:

1. Who taught you to cook?
2. Do you prefer cooking or baking?
3. What is your favorite meal to cook for company?
4. Are there any foods you will not eat?
5. Who is your favorite TV chef?
6. What famous person/people would you love to dine with (dead or alive)?
7. Was your favorite meal ever eaten at a restaurant or someone's home? Tell us about it.
8. What dish are you still trying to master?

Vegolicious said...

I love this tart, it looks delicious.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian food photo gallery showcasing beautiful and flavorful vegetarian food.

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin