One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Friday, September 25, 2009

Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges & Dipping Sauce

I found this recipe several years ago when visiting my cousin Shari in Miami. Finding out how much I love cooking, she pulled out some of her cookbooks, and my favorite turned out to be one called The Quick Recipe Cookbook. One of the surprises of this cookbook was that even though the recipes are considered "quick", with few exceptions, they didn't call for convenience food ingredients but real food. I love that! I've tried a few of the recipes, and have loved all that I've tried so far. This recipe is simple yet delicious. It makes for a wonderful snack or appetizer. Ridiculously easy, ridiculously fantastic flavor. You can't beat that!!


Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges with Dipping Sauce

2 pounds, 4 ounces sweet potatoes, unpeeled
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
chili powder, to taste (try using chipotle chili powder for a smoky heat)
1-1/4 cups sour cream (I used Stoneyfield Farms' Oikos Greek yogurt instead of sour cream this time - it was wonderful!!)
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 375 F. Scrub the sweet potatoes well and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the potatoes into 3-4 inch wedges. Place in a bowl with the oil and toss gently to coat.

Place the wedges in a single layer on a large baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with chili powder and salt. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned on the edges.

To make the dipping sauce, place the sour cream, sweet chili sauce, green onions and cilantro in a bowl, mix together and season. Cover and refrigerate.

Serve the hot wedges with the dipping sauce.


Source: The Quick Recipe Cookbook, copyright 2000

10 comments:

chow and chatter said...

wow great appetizer or snack

Kathy Walker said...

This dipping sauce looks great. I just posted one with a curry sauce. I like sprinkling chili powder on the sweet potatoes before roasting. I will give this variation a try! Thanks!

La Table De Nana said...

I saw Kate;s too..Lori yours sounds wonderful also..next round of SPF will get a dipping sauce!

Linda said...

Now I could make a very happy meal out of those!
L~xo

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, yum. These look delicious!

gaga said...

Mmm, that dipping sauce sounds perfect for some tasty sweet potato wedges. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

These are soooooo delicious! I made the dipping sauce with the greek yogurt and it rocked!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

this looks soooo good. Maybe it will get my son to eat some sweet potato

Anonymous said...

How do you write a whole recipe without temperatures?

"Bake for 40-50 minutes"
My oven has a temperature setting. Can't just press "Bake"

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Anonymous, check out the first line of the recipe - "Preheat oven to 375 F."

Hopefully your oven has that setting! :D

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin