One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Sunday, March 11, 2012

Coconut Shrimp Curry

Simple, tasty dishes are a favorite of mine these days. The days of wanting to try my hand at puff pastry from scratch and recipes utilizing every pot and pan in the kitchen, 42 ingredients, and 2-1/2 days of prep time no longer hold the same sheen they once did. So, when I came upon this recipe via a recent stroll through the land of Foodgawker, I was immediately hooked.

Barb's photos at WishfulChef were drool-inspiring. With all the ingredients on hand, my kitchen was soon wafting with the heady aromas of curry, shallots, garlic, and chili powder. And the flavor was comforting and lived up to the anticipation. It was just what I needed on a day when a little Asian comfort food was in order. Thank you, Barb.

Coconut Shrimp Curry
(I tweaked the recipe a little for my tastes, omitting the sweetener used in the original recipe, and halving the milk used in addition to the coconut milk for a little less brothy result.)

coconut or canola oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cup potatoes, diced into small cubes
1 small can coconut milk(about 6-8 ounces)
1/2 can of milk (use the empty coconut milk can to measure)
8 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 medium tomato, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1-2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
3/4 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large pan, heat oil and add curry powder, cook for about two minutes. Stir in garlic and shallot and cook for a minute. Mix in potatoes, then stir together with coconut milk and regular milk. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and chili powder. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add shrimp and frozen peas and cook for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with basmati or brown rice.

Yield: 4 servings

12 comments:

Linda said...

Yummy Lori...gorgeous pics!
Happy to see you back posting!
L~xo

Thibeault's Table said...

I'm definitely going to give this a try. Looks delicious Lori.
~Ann

Stella said...

Definitely my kind of food! I must try this Lori!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Oh my, this looks fabulous Lori!! Thank you for sharing the recipe ~ great photos (as always!!) Blessings & xoxo

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

This recipe just moved right up to the top of the stack on my kitchen counter. I love all the flavors in this dish and its a nice contract to the heavier Irish foods on the menu last week. Thanks, Lori

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

So beautiful, healthy and yummy! Who can beat that combination???

Anne said...

Looks delicious!
~Anne

toko baju muslim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you, Senka. I have added your logo to my site. I appreciate your interest!

Lori

hampers said...

This has got to be something worth trying. Coconut with shrimp curry...yummy! I like the ingredients that have been used. All fresh!

Dinnerware Set said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathy Walker said...

Perfect! I really must try this one, it has everything that I love!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin