One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Monday, August 2, 2010

Shrimp Etouffee


It's been quite some time since I've posted.  Life's been a little crazy: new job, travelling, etc.  But things are starting to settle down a bit, and I was able to actually cook something!!  This is one of those dishes that satisfies your soul as well as your taste buds.  Though this dish is classically made with crawfish tails, I'm a shrimp lover, and shrimp substitutes beautifully here.  The richness of the roux combined with the vegetables and the shrimp, all combine over rice to make a satisfying dinner. It's wonderful!

Shrimp Etouffee

1/4  cup  butter
2  tablespoons  olive oil
1/3  cup  all-purpose flour
1  medium onion, chopped
2  celery ribs, chopped
1  medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
4  garlic cloves, minced
1  large shallot, chopped
2  teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1/2  teaspoon ground red pepper (I used 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper - delicious!)
14 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
1/4  cup  chopped fresh parsley
1/4  cup  chopped fresh chives
2  pounds raw, cleaned, deveined shrimp
Hot cooked rice

Melt butter with oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until caramel colored. Add onion and next 6 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Add chicken broth, parsley, and chives; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and bubbly.

Stir in shrimp; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and cooked through.. Serve with hot cooked rice.

 
 
Inspired by Southern Living, AUGUST 2007

14 comments:

Trendsetters said...

thank u for the recipe...always wanted to try it...

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, your Etouffee looks fabulous. It is one of my favourite seafood dishes.

I'm so happy that you are cooking again.

Ann

J e l e n a said...

it looks fabulous...love seafood in all shapes and sizes....

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

That looks so good! I have always wanted to try and make this. Thanks so much for the recipe!!

Linda said...

Welcome back my friend!You have been missed!
This looks delicious! I will give it a try for sure!

The Fajdich Times said...

Your pictures are wonderful......I too am a shrimp lover. Your dish looks delicious:)

Federica Simoni said...

favolosa questa ricetta!complimenti!!ciao!

Cathy said...

It's great to see you back, Ann. I've missed you. I just bought some beautiful shrimp at the market that will be delicious in this dish. It's early morning and I'm already thinking dinner.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

The shrimp in this fabulous dish are screaming, "EAT me, MAKE me!" How did you do that? This just looks so perfectly delicious!YUM!
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

I'm the newest follower to your "great" blog.

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you, all! Moogie, welcome! The more, the merrier! :D

Dianne said...

I have prawns out on the ready and so after seeing this great recipe have decided -that will be for my dinner tonight- looks delicious!!
~Dianne~

Nancy's Notes said...

What great recipes, I just peeked at your others, they are all just sound scrumptious!

Have a great week!

Nancy
Nancy's Notes

Erin@TrialAndErin said...

That loosk really good! I made a Jambalaya with Shrimp and Andouille sausage for Fat Tuesday and posted it as my blog post today in celebration. So good. I'll have to try this one next. Thank you!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin