One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Monday, February 1, 2010

Union Square Cafe Bar Nuts

Annie at From the Bookshelf reminded me of this wonderful snack when she made this recipe last week.  The nuts are toasted first then seasoned with fresh rosemary and cayenne, sea salt and brown sugar.  It's Nigella Lawson's version of the bar nuts at the Union Square Cafe in New York City.  They are at once spicy and salty and slightly sweet.  With everyone looking for snacks for the big game this weekend, these will fit right into any Super Bowl menu.  Make sure you double the recipe - they're addictive!

Union Square Cafe's Bar Nuts

18 ounces (2-1/4 cups) assorted unsalted nuts
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons Maldon's sea salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar (I used muscovado sugar)
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary,coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Spread nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until they are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, cayenne, sea salt, brown sugar, and rosemary.  Thoroughly combine toasted nuts with the spiced butter and serve warm.



Source:  Nigella Bites, copyright 2002

11 comments:

Haden News said...

These sound so good...can't wait to try them!

Thibeault's Table said...

Lori, I wish I could reach right in and grab a handful. What a beautiful picture.

Cathy said...

These nuts are irresistible, Lori. I wouldn't be able to leave them alone. Love the brown sugar - cayenne combination. What a great game day snack!

La Table De Nana said...

Lori..I have made these too! So good! It's the name that got to me the first time as I had heard of the Café~Your bloomin'rosemary is a knockout:)

Annie said...

Glad we both remembered them! Mine are gone, so another batch before Sunday!

Great pictures!

Linda said...

Yeah baby...thats what I am talkin about!
I want some now...i tihnk i will make some on Sunday too!

Dragana said...

Rosemary is about the only thing living in my yard after that hard freeze! Ok, I'm exaggerating a little. I'm making these for my sister's SB party. Thanks, Lori!

Zurin said...

I really have to make this! ur photos are gorgoeus!!! n the nuts..they speak for themselves ..o my..

Deana Sidney said...

Great photo and I love those nuts... I remember eating them at that wonderful restaurant... good for you to get the recipe!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Hi Lori, thank you for the reminder... I haven't made these in quite some time.

I must tell you, I've never seen more attractive photos of them! Nice job. xo

The Muse said...

Wonderful!
We needed something new...I think we found it :)
Mmmmm I can smell them now!

PS loved your taupe tablescape :)

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin